County Recorder: Michelle DeSmet
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Phone: (507) 537-6722
Fax: (507) 537-7988
Address: Lyon County Recorder
607 West Main Street
Marshall, MN 56258


The County Recorder is the custodian of the land records and vital statistic records pertaining to Lyon County. It is the responsibility of this office to preserve these records in an archival quality format and assure easy and accurate access to the same. Duties are defined as:

  • Record documents relating to real property transactions in Abstract
     & Torrens Divisions
  • Collect & Receipt Recording Fee and Well Disclosure Certificate Fee
  • Collect & Distribute Well Disclosure Certificates
  • Maintain indexes and issue copies of all recorded documents
  • Maintain and issue copies of birth, death and marriage certificates
  • Process Marriage License Applications & issue marriages license
  • File and maintain Ordinations
  • File Notary Commissions
  • Immigration and Naturalization
  • Military Discharges
  • Genealogy research
  • Federal and State Tax Liens
  • Hospital and Medical Assistance Liens

Land Records


      Abstract Division
      Torrens Division The following is intended to assist with recording Torrens documents with the Lyon County Registrar of Titles.

Examiner's Directive is needed for documents dealing with:

  • Trust Documents
  • Probate Documents
  • Guardian & Conservator's Documents
  • Condemnation
  • Mortgage foreclosure by Action
  • Vacations
  • Divorces (if the judgment is being used to transfer the land)

 It is the responsibility of the person/firm presenting the documents for recording to obtain the "Directive" and it must accompany the documents when presented for recording to the office of the Registrar of Titles.

  • After cancellation of Contract for Deed
  • After mortgage foreclosure by advertisement
  • Tax title less than 10 years
  • To reform the Certificate of Title (to remove or add anything not specified under the directive statute)
  • To determine adverse claims
  • Any other change to the Certificate of title when the Examiner doesn't feel comfortable in directing without a court hearing.
  • Determination of boundaries
  • Termination of Easement
  • Construction of Easement
  • Transfer of Title by Operation of law (usually dissolution- as noted earlier)
  • Transfer of Title free and clear of lien per Bankruptcy order

Lyon County Torrens Examiner
300 South O'Connell Street
Marshall, MN 56258


Some companies have sent mailings to Minnesota homeowners that may on first blush look like a bill from a government agency.  The mailings may attempt to get homeowners to pay upward of $90 in some cases for a copy of their real estate deed or property profile.  Companies that send these mailings count on the fact that many homeowners don't know how, where, or when to get their deed to the home.  Situations in which you need a copy of your property deed may include:

  • buying or selling your house
  • refinancing your mortgage
  • transferring title to your house

Your County Recorder or Registrar of Titles can provide a copy of your deed for just a few dollars.  You do not need to pay a private company to obtain your deed for you. 


Are you aware that property and mortgage fraud are the fastest growing white-collar crimes in the county and that property fraud can be caught early if the right technology is in place?

Property Fraud Alert is a FREE internet-based system that automatically alerts you, via email or phone, each time there is a recording activity on a property owned by you.  Upon notification, you can then verify that this activity was initiated by you and not by someone attempting to commit property fraud.

If you own property in Lyon County and are interested in signing up for Property Fraud Alert you can go to http://pfa.fidlar.com/MNLyon or contact the Lyon County Recorder's Office at 507-537-6722.

Vital Statistics

Birth and Death Certificate Application If you are interested in obtaining a certified birth or death certificate you must complete an application found under Applications and Forms and be able to show tangible interest in the certificate you are requesting. There are a couple of ways you can obtain the certificates other than in person.  Non-rush orders: (through the mail)

Complete the entire application form, sign it in front of notary public (if required), send the application and appropriate payment to our office: Lyon County Recorder
607 West Main Street
Marshall MN 56258 Once the application is received the certificate will be processed and sent out either that same day or the following day depending on the Post Office mail pick up time. Faxed or Rush orders: Complete the entire application form, sign in front of a notary public, on the second page of the application you will need to complete your credit card information, fax the application to our office: 507-537-7988 or email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. We process your application as soon as we receive it and send out the certificate(s) that same day by mail to the address shown.  In order to get it in the mail that same day, we need to receive it by 12:30 pm. If there are problems or questions – we will contact you if you have given us your phone number.  For even faster return service we can return through “Express Mail” for an additional fee.  If you should choose this faster service – you can mark “Express Mail” on the application, which authorizes us to add the additional fee to your credit card.      


1st Birth Certificate-$26.00                            Each additonal Certificate at that time-$19.00
1st Death Certicate-$13.00                             Each additional Certificate at that time-$6.00

OTHER INFORMATION: If you (with a tangible interest) want someone (without a tangible interest) to obtain the birth or death certificate(s) for you, you must provide that individual with a letter authorizing him/her to get the certificate(s).  Your signature must be notarized.  The individual then must complete an application, present your letter of authorization and pay the fee.

Certified Certificate of Marriage

If you purchased your marriage license from Lyon County and are looking to obtain a certified copy of the marriage record, please fill out the form which you will find under Applications and Forms.

Certified Copy of a Marriage Record-$9.00

STATEWIDE SEARCH FOR MARRIAGES If you are unsure whether the license was purchased in Lyon county you can check the Minnesota Official Marriage System (MOMS)  http://www.moms.mn.gov. It is the website address for a statewide marriage search.  The site will tell you what county to contact for a specific marriage certificate and assist you in ordering one.  If you have any questions, please contact the Recorder's Office at (507) 537-6722 and we will assist you.

Marriage License Information


Couples applying for a marriage license in Lyon County can save time and simplify the process by filling out the application form online at www.moms.mn.gov/application/.  After completing the online form, couples receive a confirmation email.  The couple must appear in person at the county office to have their signatures witnessed, pay the license fee and complete the marriage application process. 


$115.00 - Full Fee
$40.00 - Reduced Fee-applicants must present an "Educators Statement" at the time of making the application to receive the discounted fee. The Educators Statement must appear on the educator’s letterhead, be signed and notarized or have the church seal as following the requirements shown in MS 517.08 Subd. 1b (b).

Waiting Period:     

Minnesota Statute requires there to be a five-day waiting period before the marriage license can be issued. In case of an unforeseen emergency - applicants can request a five day waiver from a Judge.  EFFECTIVE August 1, 2016 - the five-day waiting period no longer exists.  Upon applying, the applicants will receive their marriage packet immediately.

License Expires:

The marriage license is good for six-months. If it is not used within that six-month period, it becomes null & void. Applicants will need to purchase another license and pay the appropriate fee. The license can be purchased in any county within MN and the marriage ceremony must take place  within the geographical boundaries of the State of Minnesota.


Both applicants must make application for the marriage license.  If either of the parties have been previously married, you will need to enter the date of the divorce on the application so it may be helpful to bring a copy of your divorce decree with you. If one of you has been convicted of a felony and wants to change your name through marriage, there is additional paperwork required and it will delay the issuance of the marriage license for 30 days. The application for a marriage license can be found under Applications and Forms. You can print and complete the application but do not sign it until you bring it into the office. We accept application for marriages between 8:30 - 4:30.


Notary Public Information
  If you want to become a Notary Public, you must contact the Secretary of State.  Online applications are accepted at:  https://notary.sos.state.mn.us Once you have made your application and receive your Notary Public Commission from the Secretary of State, you will need to file this with the county of your residence.  In Lyon County, you need to present your Notary Public Commission, along with a filing fee of $20.00.  At the time of filing you will be asked for a specimen of your signature to have on file in the Recorder’s Office. You may be asked for two signatures, the first signature required is the same as what the commission shows, the second signature is how you will be signing your notary.  If these are both the same, then you will need to sign only once.

Military Discharge

Military Discharge Information     After you have been discharged, you will need to file your DD-214 with your county of residence.  Please bring your complete DD-214, or mail it, to the Lyon County Recorder, 607 West Main Street Marshall, MN 56258.  We will file it and return the original back to you.  We would also like to suggest that you stop in and meet the Lyon County Veterans Service Officer and staff.  There is a lot that they can do for you. When you need to prove your veterans' status, a certified copy of your DD-214 might be required.  You can obtain those from the recorder's office.  There is no fee to the veteran for a certified copy of his/her DD214, but you will be required to complete an application.  Access to these records are restricted.  You may contact our office at 507-537-6722 or the VSO Office at  507-537-6729 if you have any questions.

Page 1 of 2

Hours and Locations

Lyon County Government Center

8:00-4:30 M-F   Map

Public Works Building

8:00-4:30 M-F   Map

Law Enforcement Center

8:00-4:00 M-F   Map

Lyon County Zoning/SWCD

8:00-4:30 M-F   Map

Lyon County Landfill

6:00-4:00 M-F   Map


Code Red Icon.

Sign up for e-mail, text, and phone alerts from the Lyon County Sheriffs Department

Facebook Icon


Michelle DeSmet
607 West Main Street
Marshall, MN 56258
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.