October 1 – applications for Class 1b (Blind/Disabled) homestead are due
The “1b” classification provides property tax relief on homestead property of any person who qualifies as either:
- Legally blind; or
- Permanently and totally disabled.
This reduced class rate will lower the property taxes for qualifying property owners.
How do I Qualify?
- Be a Minnesota resident
- Own the property or be a qualifying relative to the owner
- Occupy the property as the primary place of residence
- Be either blind or disabled.
How Can I Apply?
Complete the application for Class 1b, available at the County Assessor’s office. Attach all proper documentation and drop off or send to your County Assessor’s Office.
When Should I Apply?
- File with your County Assessor by October 1
- Disability/blindness must have occurred on or before June 30.
What If I Have Questions?
Call the Lyon County Assessor’s Office at 507-537-6731
Reference the link for a Fact Sheet for Special Homestead: